1/1 Photo of Balsamic Beef Roast for Slow Cooking
5 hrs 20 mins
I make this ahead of time so I can check meat carefully and serve with mashed potatoes that I also make ahead. The timing doesn't really fit for all day being gone. Eye of round is very lean meat so the gravy is important. If butcher has a better cut of meat like sirloin I buy that instead.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 1/2 lbs beef eye round (roast)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup water, for deglazing
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/16 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons flour, slurry
- 1/4 cup water, cold slurry
- 1/2 ounce dried shiitake mushroom (optional)
- 3/4 cup boiling water, for soaking
- 1In medium saucepan pour beef stock, bring to boil, keep boiling until reduced to about 1/2 cup guessing at 3 minutes as it really depends upon pan size and burner temperature. Add onion and garlic.
- 2Meanwhile, mix together black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder; rub onto roast.
- 3Sprinkle flour onto both sides of meat and pat into meat--recently saw that technique is called SPANKING the meat--lol!
- 4Heat olive oil in high sided pan at moderate temperature, sear meat all over for about 8 minutes-take your time as this is when you get luscious drippings.
- 5While meat is browning, line crockpot.
- 6Put meat into crockpot, deglaze pan (about 1 minute) that meat was in with 1/4 cup water, scrape up those yummy drippings, reserve in pan for next step.
- 7Pour reduced beef stock with onion and garlic, balsamic vinegar, and rosemary into deglazed liquid; pour over meat.
- 8Cover crockpot, cook on low. For 3.5 pound roast, it will be done in about 5 hours, and for 3.25 pound roast it will take about 4 hours and 50 minutes. After removing meat, cover with foil and let rest while making gravy.
- 9If using shitake--About 15 minutes before removing roast, soak mushrooms in boiling water for 30 minutes, drain and discard liquid.
- 10Take liquid with onion from crockpot, and pour into large skillet, add the other cup beef stock, bring to boil, boil about 5 minutes, make slurry of flour and cold water, reduce burner to moderate temperature, stir slurry into hot liquid, and stir until lumps are out, strain if needed. Taste for salt.
- 11Put reserved mushrooms into gravy.
- 12Slice meat thin and add to gravy.
- 13If you are like me and make this ahead, I take it out of fridge about an hour beforehand, let it set at least 30 minutes to get to room temperature, then I add more beef stock to it as reheat it and am guessing at amount as I have not measured it.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balsamic Beef Roast for Slow Cooking
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 429.4
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 156.1 mg
- Sodium 487.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 62.1 g