Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
A lovely side dish that has a tangy flavor.
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- In a large saucepan, boil 3 cups water; add the carrots and return to boiling; cook carrots for 4 minutes.
- Remove pan from the heatsource; drain carrots well.
- In a skillet, heat oil; over medium-high heat, cook shallots and bell pepper for 3 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Add in carrots, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper; cook for 4-6 minutes or until liquid is reduced and vegetables begin to glaze.
- Remove skillet from heat; add in chopped parsley and stir to combine.
Carrots NOT being my favorite veggie - I most often use them in "combination" dishes and stews. This was a really nice addition to just another chicken dish, and used my last 2 shallots before they went "over". I have recently discovered the wonderful flavor of balsamic vinegar - and this went together SO quickly, that it had to sit a while, for the rest of dinner to get done. I think the cooking time could easily be a tad more and still not be mushy. We enjoyed them - and for the 2 of us, enough for another meal. Thanks, NurseDi.
Unbelievably delicious!! My Dad grew WAY too many carrots this year and this recipe was a super diversion from the "same old same old." I thought the balsamic vinegar might be too overpowering, but I think the sugar helped mellow it out. Fantastic!
Well, this is a delicious carrot dish. It's simple, colourful and tasty, made with ingredients I always have on hand. It's not often carrots are the star, but they were tonight!