Recipe by Serah B.
Easy, inexpensive kid-friendly recipe for vegan dogs from "Quick and Easy Low-Cal Vegan Comfort Food." I use these with Vegan Dad's corndog recipe: http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2012/01/baked-mini-corn-dogs.html
Top Review by DomDem
These are great! I've made them before although a little different on some of the ingredients. Definitely get the texture right and perfect for corn dogs!!! I've had to steam mine a little bit longer though to firm them up properly.
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup and 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 3⁄4 cup soy flour
- 1⁄4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
Directions See How It's Made
- Process soy sauce, oil, ketchup, garlic, onion, and brown sugar in blender until smooth. Slowly pour in water and blend until combined.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add soy sauce mixture to the gluten mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until combined and a soft wet dough forms.
- Divide dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into 6-inch log.
- Wrap each log tightly in aluminum foil (they will burst out while cooking if not wrapped tightly enough). Twist ends of foil to seal.
- Steam for 30 minutes.
- Unroll and enjoy!