1/2 Photos of Ballotine of Chicken
1 hr 30 mins
Brian Holley's Note:
This makes a wonderful centre piece for a party/dinner with friends. You could use a duck or small turkey instead of the chicken. You will need some knife skills to bone out the bird, and, time to make the sauce and stuffing, But it is well worth the effort.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens, boned out
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 glass dry sherry
- 1/4 lb button mushroom, sliced
FOR THE STUFFING
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 ounces ham, chopped
- 12 ounces ground pork
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sage, chopped
- 1 glass dry sherry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 10 pistachio nuts, chopped
- 1Lay the bird breast down on a chopping board, with a sharp knife cut along the back bone. Now work all over the carcass leaving the skin in tact, till all the meat has been removed from the bones. Work down the legs and thighs in the same manner till the carcass can be removed. This will take a little time, don't rush the job, enjoy it.
- 2Melt the butter ina pan and add the onion and cook till soft but not coloured. Remove from the heat. Add the minced meats with the breadcrumbs and all the other stuffing ingredients.
- 3Stuff the bird and sew along the open edges with fine cotton. Tie with string round the bird at 2" intervals.
- 4Heat 2 tbsp oil in a roasting tin, set the bird on a grid and baste with the hot oil.
- 5Roast in oven at 200 degrees for 1 1/2 hours, basting every 20 minutes.
- 6To prepare the sauce.
- 7Heat the oil in a pan add the vegetables and cook till soft but not coloured. Stir in the flour and reduce the heat cook till a golden russet colour. Stir in 1/2 pint of the stock, and the rest of the ingredients.
- 8Stir till boiling. Reduce the heat and cook at a slow simmer for 30 mins.Add the rest of the stock and cook for five more minutes.
- 9Fry the mushrooms in the butter till soft.
- 10Remove the bird to a serving dish. Pour off the cooking fat and deglaze the tin with the sherry. Strain and add to the sauce with the cooked mushrooms.
- 11Pour a little sauce over the bird and serve.
- 12Cut the bird across the body not along it, that way the stuffing with be encased inside the meat.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ballotine of Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (626 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1255.6
- Calories from Fat 807
- Total Fat 89.7 g
- Saturated Fat 26.9 g
- Cholesterol 350.7 mg
- Sodium 970.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 78.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: