Nancy's Pantry's Note:
The food columnist at the Santa Barbara News says this recipe was served at a restored 19th-century Stagecoach stop for a Historical Society luncheon. This salad combines marinated artichoke hearts with pimento-stuffed olives and a small amount of curry powder. I haven't tried it yet, but it does sound interesting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups long-grain white rice (uncooked)
- 3 (6 ounce) jars marinated artichoke hearts (drained with marinade reserved)
- 1 (4 ounce) jar pimento stuffed olives (sliced)
- 1 large green bell pepper, sliced (I prefer red)
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 cups mayonnaise (light)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1In a large saucepan, bring chicken stock to a boil. Add rice, return to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Transfer to a large serving bowl; let cool.
- 2Drain and chop artichoke hearts, reserving marinade. Add artichokes, green onions, olives, green pepper, celery and parsley to cooled rice.
- 3For dressing, combine reserved artichoke marinade, curry powder and mayonnaise in a small bowl; mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4Add dressing to rice mixture; mix thoroughly. Refrigerate until serving time.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ballard Adobe Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.8
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 12.5 mg
- Sodium 577.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 6.2 g