Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This was served at a dinner party I attended and I had to have the recipe.
Make and share this Balinese Roasted Chicken recipe from Food.com.
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled halved
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled coarsely chopped (2 inches)
- 3⁄4 cup shallot, coarsely chopped
- 3 small Thai red chili peppers or 3 serrano peppers, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 chicken thighs
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 4 medium limes, quartered
- 6 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley leaves (garnish)
- Combine the garlic, ginger, shallots, chiles, and turmeric in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped.
- Melt the coconut oil in a 10- to 12-inch heavy frying pan over medium heat. Add the chile mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant and softened, about 2 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and let cool completely.
- Place the chicken pieces in a 3-quart baking dish. Squeeze the limes over the chicken and toss to coat.
- Add the cooked chile mixture, the whole lime leaves, 2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper, and using your hands, rub the mixture into the chicken until well coated. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Arrange a rack in the top third of the oven and heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the chicken, uncovered, until tender (45-50 minutes) Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the lime leaves and garnish with parsley leaves before serving.