Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
One of my favorite salads in the Moosewood Daily Special cookbook. It can be made quickly with leftover rice and served as a main course or side dish that is perfect for last minute picnic or easy summer supper.
- 1⁄2 cup prepared mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple or 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 cups bean sprouts (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 cup drained baby corn
- 1⁄2 cup toasted peanuts or 1⁄2 cup cashews
- In a blender, puree all the dressing ingredients until smooth.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the rice, pineapple, scallions, celery, peppers, and raisins.
- Add the dressing and toss well.
- Gently mix the sprouts and baby corn or scatter them on tap if you prefer.
- Garnish with nuts.
- Serve at room temperature or chill for about 30 minutes.
- Toast nuts in a single layer on an un-oiled baking tray at 350F for about 5 minutes, until golden.
I've had this recipe in my cookbook for awhile and just around to making it. Wish I hadn't waited! This is so wonderful - with summer coming up, this one will be a standard for us. Pair this with fish or chicken on the grill for a fabulous and different side dish. I made the rice the day before so it was really quick and easy to put this together at the last minute. At dressing is tart and super flavorful - the pinapple adds just the right sweet taste and the nuts and celery give it a perfect crunch. I left out the sprouts and raisins - we don't like either of them. Really good!
This rice salad is really good. If you live in hot weather - it's a nice change for a side dish. I did not use the bean sprouts and next time I will not use the mini corns, they did not come out that good.
I didn't have all the ingredients for this recipe but it sounded so good I made it with what I had. I used Tomato Chutney instead of Mango. I didn't have bean sprouts or baby corn, so just left them out. It was a hit at the pot luck. I think it would be better with the mango chutney and will definitely make it again using mango.