One of my favorite salads in the Moosewood Daily Special cookbook. It can be made quickly with leftover rice and served as a main course or side dish that is perfect for last minute picnic or easy summer supper.
- 1⁄2 cup prepared mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple or 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 cups bean sprouts (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 cup drained baby corn
- 1⁄2 cup toasted peanuts or 1⁄2 cup cashews
- In a blender, puree all the dressing ingredients until smooth.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the rice, pineapple, scallions, celery, peppers, and raisins.
- Add the dressing and toss well.
- Gently mix the sprouts and baby corn or scatter them on tap if you prefer.
- Garnish with nuts.
- Serve at room temperature or chill for about 30 minutes.
- Toast nuts in a single layer on an un-oiled baking tray at 350F for about 5 minutes, until golden.