Recipe by Tish
One of my favorite salads in the Moosewood Daily Special cookbook. It can be made quickly with leftover rice and served as a main course or side dish that is perfect for last minute picnic or easy summer supper.
Top Review by SuzieQue
I've had this recipe in my cookbook for awhile and just around to making it. Wish I hadn't waited! This is so wonderful - with summer coming up, this one will be a standard for us. Pair this with fish or chicken on the grill for a fabulous and different side dish. I made the rice the day before so it was really quick and easy to put this together at the last minute. At dressing is tart and super flavorful - the pinapple adds just the right sweet taste and the nuts and celery give it a perfect crunch. I left out the sprouts and raisins - we don't like either of them. Really good!
- 1⁄2 cup prepared mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened pineapple or 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 2 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 yellow bell peppers or 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 cups bean sprouts (about 1/2 lb)
- 1 cup drained baby corn
- 1⁄2 cup toasted peanuts or 1⁄2 cup cashews
Directions See How It's Made
- In a blender, puree all the dressing ingredients until smooth.
- In a large serving bowl, combine the rice, pineapple, scallions, celery, peppers, and raisins.
- Add the dressing and toss well.
- Gently mix the sprouts and baby corn or scatter them on tap if you prefer.
- Garnish with nuts.
- Serve at room temperature or chill for about 30 minutes.
- Toast nuts in a single layer on an un-oiled baking tray at 350F for about 5 minutes, until golden.