Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Chickpeas are a staple of the Palestinian diet. In this salad they are seasoned with a blend of cumin, olive oil, and lemon juice. To make the salad more substantial, add some crumbled feta cheese and several seeded and diced vine-ripened tomatoes. From the food section of the Houston Chronicle. The recipe was adapted from Christiane Dabdoub Nasser's "Classic Palestinian Cookery".
- 3 cups canned chick-peas, rinsed and drained
- 3 scallions, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄3 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine the chickpeas, scallions, and parsley; toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, then pour over the chickpeas and toss to coat evenly.
- Let sit 10 minutes for the flavors to develop.