Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This fiery dish from Goa (in coastal western India) is hugely popular in its hometown.
Make and share this Balchao Goan Style recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs shrimp, cleaned and deveined (small to medium sized)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 large onions, minced
- 3 large tomatoes, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 12 dried red chilies
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 (2 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 10 cloves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- salt, to taste
- Put the shrimp in a large bowl and sprinkle salt on them. Set aside.
- Roast the dry red chillies, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, cloves and cinnamon till they begin to release their aroma. Take off the fire and cool.
- Grind or blend the ginger, garlic and roasted spices into a smooth paste using the vinegar.
- Heat the oil on a medium heat in a wok style pan or frying pan. Add the shrimp and stir fry till opaque (1-2 min). Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the onions till light brown (8-10 min). Add the tomato and fry till soft.
- Add the spice-vinegar paste, sugar and salt to taste and fry till the oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Add the shrimp to this masala, mix well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve with piping hot, plain boiled rice.