Recipe by Member #610488
This fiery dish from Goa (in coastal western India) is hugely popular in its hometown.
- 2 lbs shrimp, cleaned and deveined (small to medium sized)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 large onions, minced
- 3 large tomatoes, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 12 dried red chilies
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 (2 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 10 cloves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the shrimp in a large bowl and sprinkle salt on them. Set aside.
- Roast the dry red chillies, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, cloves and cinnamon till they begin to release their aroma. Take off the fire and cool.
- Grind or blend the ginger, garlic and roasted spices into a smooth paste using the vinegar.
- Heat the oil on a medium heat in a wok style pan or frying pan. Add the shrimp and stir fry till opaque (1-2 min). Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry the onions till light brown (8-10 min). Add the tomato and fry till soft.
- Add the spice-vinegar paste, sugar and salt to taste and fry till the oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Add the shrimp to this masala, mix well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Serve with piping hot, plain boiled rice.