Recipe by UmmBinat
A gluten-free tasty sweet breakfast or dessert made especially during the month of Ramadan in the Arabian Gulf - Kuwait, UAE, Oman... Sometimes made with onion and egg. Originally published on http://arabicbites.blogspot.com.
- 450 g rice vermicelli
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons rose water or 3 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (may use butter)
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3 liters water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place vermicelli on oven trays under broiler until golden brown. Watch carefully. May need turning to colour all.
- Remove from oven and cook in 3 liters of boiling water for precisely 3 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan mix the other tbls oil or butter with sugar, cardamom, saffron, and rose water stirring over medium heat.
- Add the vermicelli, stirring to combine, let it cook over very low heat for 1/2 hour.
- Serve warm.