Prep 10 mins
Cook 33 mins
A gluten-free tasty sweet breakfast or dessert made especially during the month of Ramadan in the Arabian Gulf - Kuwait, UAE, Oman... Sometimes made with onion and egg. Originally published on http://arabicbites.blogspot.com.
- 450 g rice vermicelli
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 3 tablespoons rose water or 3 tablespoons orange blossom water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (may use butter)
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3 liters water
- Place vermicelli on oven trays under broiler until golden brown. Watch carefully. May need turning to colour all.
- Remove from oven and cook in 3 liters of boiling water for precisely 3 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan mix the other tbls oil or butter with sugar, cardamom, saffron, and rose water stirring over medium heat.
- Add the vermicelli, stirring to combine, let it cook over very low heat for 1/2 hour.
- Serve warm.
I cut the recipe in half since only DH & I were eating. I did use butter in the place of olive oil. Made for Ramadan Tag
I do believe this is my new favorite breakfast meal! I ground up the rice vermicelli too small but it made no difference with the end product. The vermicelli only cooked on low for 15 minutes, enough time to infuse the ingredients and the rose water was stirred in right before serving. I garnished the top of the sweet vermicelli with toasted sliced almonds and poured a little bit of rice milk around the edges to add some calcium. It was easier and safer to roast the vermicelli on the stove top. Step #5 doesn't indicate whether to cover the pot or not-I didn't. Thanks for posting. Made for Ramadan Tag 2009.
This is a FANTASTIC recipe!!! After moving to the u.s, from the u.a.e. i was telling my husband about this breakfast that my grandmother used to make for me.. i was sudenly craving it and couldnt call my mother as it was night time back home.. so i googled it and was amazed to find there was actually a recipe!!!! im making it right now.. so i just wanted to say thank u and that if you are reading this U SHOULD MAKE THIS ITS SUPERB!!! thank you again ummbinat!!