Recipe by Annacia
Found on Emiratican Kitchen . The intro says: This is an unusually delicious salty and sweet breakfast dish that is enjoyed on a regular basis. This is also traditionally served on the Eid holidays along with boiled garbanzo beans and boiled black-eye peas. Along with the salty-sweet taste your taste buds will be tickled with the cardamom spice. It is very interesting to eat this for the first time because you think it will not be delicious but it will soon become a favorite of yours too. Posted exactly as written.
Top Review by Elmotoo
Wellllll....I had it in my head that this would be dessert. Then I decided it would be breakfast for dinner. 2 of us had some, 2 scavenged for leftovers. I liked the vermicelli (cardamom & rosewater are 2 favorite flavors). I made a better than usual omelet. I like the 2 together. It was difficult to measure 2c vermicelli - it doesn't measure well such as elbows, etc. I broke it up & stood it up in a measuring cup. I used a large wide pan but USE A WOK!! Wow, tough to stir/turn so, as you can see from the photo, i have diff levels of browning. And the pasta jumps out of the pan when turning! It's the craziest thing. Woweee....when I added the pasta to the boiling water - WHOOSH! Massive water boil over! Please be careful. In the end...I doubt I'll make this again but glad I tried it & if you like the ingredients listed, give it a try!! I still LOVE rosewater & cardamom.... Made for Exploring UAE with the NA/ME Forum 1/14. :)
- 2 cups vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1⁄4 cup ghee (or a mixture of 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons cooking oil)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cardamom powder
- 2 generous pinches saffron (soaked in the rose water listed below)
- 1⁄2 cup rose water
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, bring enough water to boil for the vermicelli.
- Meanwhile, in a wok, or wide pan, heat the 2 tablespoons of cooking oil and add the vermicelli. With a wooden spoon, constantly stir the vermicelli so it won’t burn. Lightly fry the vermicelli until it is a dark, golden brown color. Remove the wok from the heat.
- Once the water starts to boil, add the vermicelli and cook for just 3-4 minutes and then drain. Place back into pot.
- In another pot, heat the ghee and add the sugar and cardamom powder along with the saffron rose water. Cook until the sugar melts and then pour over the cooked vermicelli. Cover the pot with a lid to keep warm.
- In a pan make an omelet. Heat about 3 tablespoons cooking oil and then when very hot add the beaten eggs. Tip the pan around to spread the uncooked egg. When dry on top, turn the egg omelet over and cook for one minute more.
- In a large serving dish, spread the vermicelli and top with the egg omelet.
- Enjoy! It is very delicious!