Recipe by petlover
This recipe is loosely based on a recipe which I found online at alaboostablogspot.com. It is great. I have changed it a bit to make it easier. I make this in a glazed clay pot but a heavy dutch oven will do. A balaboosta is yiddish for an "excellent homemaker..and more"-there is no exact translation. This recipe serves 2-4 people only. Double or triple for more. Flanken is very similar to shortribs ( its cross cut).
- 2 lbs beef short ribs, flanken cut
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Sprinkle the meat well, with salt and pepper, on both sides.
- 2. Heat oil in deep heavy pan and sear meat on both sides. Set meat aside.
- 3. In same oil sauté onion until golden.
- 4. In same oil add and sauté garlic for about 1 minute.
- 5. Add parsley, thyme, pepper flakes, crushed tomatoes ( with juice), lemon juice, Worcestershire and brown sugar. Mix and bring to a slow simmer.
- 6. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- 7. Pour 1/2 of sauce into heavy dutch oven. Place meat over. Pour other 1/2 of sauce over. Pour hot water over. Cover.
- 8. Cook in oven for at least 3 hours ( more is better) or until the meat is very soft. . Check periodically and add water if flanken if needed.