3 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is loosely based on a recipe which I found online at alaboostablogspot.com. It is great. I have changed it a bit to make it easier. I make this in a glazed clay pot but a heavy dutch oven will do. A balaboosta is yiddish for an "excellent homemaker..and more"-there is no exact translation. This recipe serves 2-4 people only. Double or triple for more. Flanken is very similar to shortribs ( its cross cut).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef short ribs, flanken cut
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup hot water
- 11. Sprinkle the meat well, with salt and pepper, on both sides.
- 22. Heat oil in deep heavy pan and sear meat on both sides. Set meat aside.
- 33. In same oil sauté onion until golden.
- 44. In same oil add and sauté garlic for about 1 minute.
- 55. Add parsley, thyme, pepper flakes, crushed tomatoes ( with juice), lemon juice, Worcestershire and brown sugar. Mix and bring to a slow simmer.
- 66. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- 77. Pour 1/2 of sauce into heavy dutch oven. Place meat over. Pour other 1/2 of sauce over. Pour hot water over. Cover.
- 88. Cook in oven for at least 3 hours ( more is better) or until the meat is very soft. . Check periodically and add water if flanken if needed.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Balaboosta's Jewish Flanken Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2080.8
- Calories from Fat 1612
- Total Fat 179.1 g
- Saturated Fat 73.5 g
- Cholesterol 344.7 mg
- Sodium 812.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 73.2 g