baklava with a twist :) a healthier version!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 15 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 cups shortening
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup honey or 1 cup corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- pecans, walnuts or pistachios
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar or 3 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut (optional)
- 1 cup of extra nuts and coconut (to garnish)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1Open your phyllo and lay it out on a tray with a damp towel ontop to prevent it from drying!
- 2Melt your shortening with 2 tbsp of water you can substitute it with butter.
- 3Brush a cookie sheet with some of the butter water mixture.
- 4Add one sheet of phyllo and brush some of the mixture ontop repeat with 5-7 sheets.
- 5Finely chop nuts,coconut,2tbps of cinnamon and 3tbsp of sugar(if preferred with a food processor!
- 6Add nut mixture onto the phyllo pastry.
- 7Add the remaining phyllo/butter on top of the nuts brush the top with some more butter.
- 8Cut it into the sizes and shapes you want and bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown at 400 F or 220°C.
- 9On a nonstick pan add water sugar corn syrup or honey and 1 large cinnamon stick boil until it becomes a thick sauce like consistency and stir in a tbsp of butter stir until butter has melted.
- 10Let both the sauce and baklava cool for about 30 minutes pour over sauce and enjoy!
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baklawa
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.9
- Calories from Fat 222
- Total Fat 24.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 1.5 mg
- Sodium 77.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 36.1 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: