Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
baklava with a twist :) a healthier version!
Make and share this Baklawa recipe from Food.com.
- 15 sheets phyllo pastry
- 2 cups shortening
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup honey or 1 cup corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- pecans, walnuts or pistachios
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar or 3 tablespoons sugar substitute
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut (optional)
- 1 cup of extra nuts and coconut (to garnish)
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Open your phyllo and lay it out on a tray with a damp towel ontop to prevent it from drying!
- Melt your shortening with 2 tbsp of water you can substitute it with butter.
- Brush a cookie sheet with some of the butter water mixture.
- Add one sheet of phyllo and brush some of the mixture ontop repeat with 5-7 sheets.
- Finely chop nuts,coconut,2tbps of cinnamon and 3tbsp of sugar(if preferred with a food processor!
- Add nut mixture onto the phyllo pastry.
- Add the remaining phyllo/butter on top of the nuts brush the top with some more butter.
- Cut it into the sizes and shapes you want and bake for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown at 400 F or 220°C.
- On a nonstick pan add water sugar corn syrup or honey and 1 large cinnamon stick boil until it becomes a thick sauce like consistency and stir in a tbsp of butter stir until butter has melted.
- Let both the sauce and baklava cool for about 30 minutes pour over sauce and enjoy!