Recipe by Julie B's Hive
Turn something traditional into something wild by taming the backyard dandelions. Please, please do not use flowers that have been sprayed with insecticides.
- 24 phyllo dough, leaves (half a box)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups finely chopped hickory nuts (try walnuts or pecans)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup dandelion syrup
DANDELION BLOSSOM SYRUP
- 4 cups dandelion flowers
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 lemons or 1⁄2 orange, chopped, including peel
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine nuts with sugar and spices and melt butter.
- Layer 8 sheets fillo into a buttered 9x13 pan, brushing every other sheet with butter using a pastry brush. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 of the nut mixture.
- Repeat step 2.
- Layer the rest of the fillo sheets, brush the top layer generously with butter.
- Cut carefully into 30 squares with a sharp knife before baking.
- Bake at 375 for about one-half hour. when slightly browned, remove from oven.
- Pour 3/4 cup room temperature Dandelion Blossom syrup over the hot baklava, cool and serve.
- DANDELION BLOSSOM SYRUP:.
- Put blossoms and water in a pot and bring just to a boil, turn off heat, cover, and let sit overnight.
- The next day, strain and press liquid out of spent flowers.
- Add sugar and sliced citrus and heat slowly, stirring now and again, for several hours or until reduced to a thick, honey-like syrup. Makes 1 pint.