Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Quick and simple modern interpretation of baklava with walnuts
- 4 sheets phyllo pastry
- 50 g butter, melted
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup raw brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 180 ml thick Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup mild honey
- 2 small lemons, juice and zest of
- Preheat the grill.
- Take one sheet of pastry and brush with butter (keeping the remaining sheets covered with a damp tea towel). Place another pastry sheet over the first, brush with butter. Repeat this process with the remaining sheets. Brush the final layer with butter then sprinkle the walnuts, sugar and cinnamon on top.
- Cut the stack into nine pieces (they will measure about 14cm x 9cm each). Cut each rectangle in half diagonally to form triangles.
- Put the triangles on a baking tray lined with baking paper and place 15cm below the grill. Grill for three to four minutes until the sugar starts to caramelise and the tops are dark golden. Watch closely, because the pastry and nuts burn quickly. Cool the wafers on a wire rack.
- Lemon Honey Syrup : Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil.
- To assemble, place a baklava wafer in the centre of six plates. Top each with a tablespoon of yoghurt, another wafer, more yoghurt and a final wafer. Pour lemon honey syrup liberally over each.
- Kim Hill RNZ 18/6/05.