Recipe by Mj2trip
My husband makes these and they are elegant, delicious and not as sticky as the Greek version.
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 2 lbs walnuts
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- 16 ounces Karo light corn syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- MIx finely chooped walnuts, sugar and 1 heaping T rosewater set aside.
- Render butter and skim off curdle.
- Butter cookie sheets with curdle.
- Lay 1 sheet dough & butter entirely.
- Place another sheet over this and butter the ends.
- Mound nut mixture along the short end of the dough and roll up.
- Crimp the ends of the roll and place on cookie sheet
- Place rolls tightly against each other
- When sheet is full, butter the tops.
- Diagonal cut while raw.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour (brown).
- Syrup - In a sauce pan, mix 1 bottle of white Karo syrup lite with a little water and 1 heaping T rosewater. Boil.
- Apply to bakliva while hot.
- Let cooll completely before storinn in air tight plastic container. May be frozen.