Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
From today's Thursday magazine, now you know what I'm making for my Sabbath tomorrow;-)
- 1 liter fresh milk
- 1⁄2 kg semolina (we call it "rava" in Hindi)
- 200 g butter
- 500 g sugar
- 1 liter water
- 2 teaspoons orange rind
- 4 cups vermicelli
- 1 cup mixed nuts, chopped
- vanilla essence, as required
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a pan on medium flame.
- Add butter.
- Once it melts, add vermicelli to it.
- Stir-fry it until it turns golden brown.
- Remove from heat.
- In an oven proof tray, spread half of the fried vermicelli.
- In another pan, add the milk, essence and semolina.
- Mix it until the mixture is like a thick syrup.
- Add the chopped nuts.
- Cool it for 5 minutes.
- Pour it over the vermicelli spread in the tray.
- Allow it to set.
- Spread the rest of the vermicelli over it.
- Bake in an oven for 10-12 minutes or till the top browns.
- In the pan, add the sugar, water and orange rind with a little vanilla essence.
- When the syrup boils, cool it.
- Pour it over the vermicelli on top.
- Press on the sides so that the syrup is absorbed inside the sweet.
- Cut into equal sized squares.
- Serve warm.
- If it remains, you can refrigerate it for 5 days, but make sure you warm it up in the oven before serving.
- It has to be had"hot" to be relished!