Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
This came from my girlfriend Joni which is EXCELLENT. No matter where I go this is what I am asked to make. The only thing that I will say is the nuts are good, but the fruit is also good. I have kept this simple and easy to make. It is a sure hit anywhere.
- 1 (16 ounce) package phyllo dough
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 lb nuts, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey, boil only three minutes
- Variations pie filling our favorite is fresh fruit prepared as pie filling example 2 lbs of apples one cup of sugar one tablespoon cinnamon one tablespoon real butter an one tablespoon flour mix all an spread over dough.
- First lay out dough an cover with a damp cloth.
- Then melt two sticks of butter, now lay very carefully one strip of the dough on very large cookie sheet.
- With a paint brush brush dough, now do this with the first half of dough.
- Chop one pound of nuts an add one cup of sugar spread this evenly.
- Then repeat the each layer of dough.
- With the last two sticks of butter.
- Then with a very sharp knife cut diagonally from one corner till the next.
- When ended it will look like diamonds then bake in 400°F oven until GOLDEN BROWN (can not give a time as different butter and ovens are different).
- As this is baking boil the water sugar lemon an honey to a candy syrup stage, about 5 minutes.
- When golden brown, remove from oven; re cut and pour liquid over. Cool.