- Combine all ingredients for syrup in saucepan, bring to boil, simmer for 10 min., strain, and allow to cool.
- Mix egg, sugar, cinnamon and allspice well.
- Coarsely grind or chop walnuts and almonds; mix thoroughly with bread crumbs and egg, sugar, cinnamon, allspice mixture. Brush a 9"x13"x2" pan with butter; lay sheet of filo in bottom; brush with butter; cover with another sheet of filo; brush with butter, and repeat process until you have used a dozen sheets.
- Then spread 1 thin layer of nut mixture on top of filo; cover with sheet of filo; brush with butter; cover with another layer of nuts and repeat process until all nuts are used.
- Cover with remaining filo sheets; brush ea. sheet with butter.
- With a very sharp knife, cut the top filo sheets into triangles (cutting diagonally across pan). Insert clove in center of ea. triangle.
- Bake (350 degrees F.) for 1 hr. until baklava is evenly browned.
- Remove from oven; pour cooled syrup evenly over it, so that it penetrates the layers.
- Cool several hrs. before serving.