Prep 1 hr
Cook 24 hrs
Make sure the phyllo is completely thawed, work with 1 sheet at a time, keep the remainder covered with a damp towel. Brush each sheet with butter, to make it crisp.
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) packagefrozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- Cut phyllo in half crosswise, and cut each half to fit a 13x9x2-inch pan. Cover with a slghtly damp towel.
- Lightly butter bottom of a 13x9x2-inch pan. Layer 10 sheets of phyllo in pan, brushing each sheet with melte butter. Set aside.
- Combine walnuts, almonds, sugar and spices, mixing well. Sprinkle one-third of nut mixture over phyllo in pan;drizzle with a little melted butter. Top nut mixture with 11 sheets of phyllo brushing each sheet with butter, repeat twice with remaining nut mixture, phyllo and butter, ending with buttered phyllo. Cut into diamond shapes. Bake at 350F for 50 minutes. Cool thoroughly. Drizzle warm syrup over pastries. Let stand at room temp 24 hours.
- Combine sugar, water, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 7 minutes. Stir in honey.