Recipe by Creation in Hope
I am posting this for the Zaar World Tour II. I have not tried this. It is compliments of http://www.thegutsygourmet.net/mideast-baklava.html . When working with Filo dough you need to keep it covered with a damp towel. The package that is opened and the one that is being butter in the pan. It does not state in the recipe how much to use so I would ASSUME that you would use one package for the bottom and one package for the top. Making sure that you only open the packages WHEN you need them. All times and servings are a guess.
- 2 cups walnuts or 2 cups pistachio nuts, Med. chopped
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 1 lb butter, Drawn or 1 lb sweet butter
- simple syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 drops lemon juice (calls for FEW)
- 1 teaspoon rose water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine nuts, sugar and rose water.
- Filo dough may be spread in a buttered 10 x 14 inch pan, brushing each layer with butter.
- When done with the first package of filo dough, place nut mixture evenly over dough.
- Then continue layering buttered filo on top.
- Cut in diamond shaped pieces.
- Bake at 300 degrees for one hour or until golden brown.
- Pour syrup over baklava making sure the dough is well saturated.
- Combine sugar, water and lemon juice in saucepan.
- Boil over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly viscous (225 degrees). Before removing from heat, add rose water and let come to a boil.
- Remove from fire and cool.
- I would assume that you pour this over the baklava or you use it to dip you pieces into. It doesn't say and this is a guess of mine.