1/1 Photo of Baklava
Chef #256507's Note:
Great tasty arabic baklava
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups finely chopped walnuts
- 2 cups butter or 2 cups crisco ghee
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pistachios
- 18 sheets phyllo dough
to make the sugar syrup
- 1To make the sugar syrup:.
- 2In a pan put the water and sugar and heat until boiling.
- 3Once it start boiling add the lemon and leave in for another 15 minutes until the syrup start thickening.
- 4Set a side to cool.
- 5To make the baklava.
- 6- Preheat oven.
- 7- Brush the surface of the baking tray ( square or rectangular shape 24 x40 cm) with oil.
- 8- Melt the butter or the ghee.
- 9- Put on layer of dough in the baking tray and brush it with the ghee, repeat 6 times.
- 10- On the side mix the walnuts with the sugar and the pistachios.
- 11- spread the walnut mix equally on top of the dough.
- 12- spread ¼ cup of the ghee on top of the walnuts.
- 13- put another dough on top of the walnut and brush it with ghee.
- 14- repeat the last step 12 times.
- 15- wet your fingers with water and gently wipe the last dough.
- 16- brush the last dough with ghee generously.
- 17- cut the baklava into small squares.
- 18- Put the baklava in the oven.
- 19- Bake on 325 for about half an hour then on 450 for the last 5-10 minutes until it turns golden and crunchy.
- 20- Take the baklava out of the oven and immediately pour the cooled sugar syrup on it.
- 21- Serve at room temperature.
Nutritional Facts for Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 866.3
- Calories from Fat 541
- Total Fat 60.1 g
- Saturated Fat 22.5 g
- Cholesterol 81.3 mg
- Sodium 410.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 80.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 59.7 g
- Protein 9.3 g