Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
A classic Middle Eastern, Greek and Turkish dessert, adapted from a recipe in the Bay Books' publication: 'The Best of Lebanese and Middle Eastern Cooking' and posted for the 2005 Zaar World. This recipe uses ghee in the preparation of the pastry. When making this recipe, I've used Rita L's How To Prepare Ghee How to Prepare Ghee. The orange-blossom water, used in the syrup, can be purchased at Middle Eastern or Greek grocery stores. If you are unable to find orange-blossom water, you could use orange juice or lemon juice, depending on your taste preferences. Another option is to add lemon or oarange zest to the syrup.
- 125 g walnuts, finely chopped
- 125 g almonds, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 30 sheets phyllo pastry
- 125 g ghee
- 250 g brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 tablespoon orange blossom water
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Line a lightly greased, shallow-sided 23-cm square pan with 10 sheets of phyllo pastry, brushing each sheet with melted ghee.
- Sprinkle half the nut mixture evenly over the pastry, top with another 10 sheets of phyllo, brushing each with melted ghee and then sprinkle over the remaining nut mixture and cover with the last 10 sheets of phyllo, brushing each with melted ghee.
- With a sharp knife, cut the pastry in vertical lines 6-cm apart, then cut diagonally into diamond shapes.
- Bake in a hot oven (230°C; 450°F) for 10 minutes, then reduce to 190°C - 375°F - for 25 minutes, or until golden, crisp and baked through.
- While the baklava is cooking, prepare the syrup by combining the sugar, water, lemon juice and orange-blossom water; bring to the boil, stirring constantly then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes without stirring.
- When the baklava is cooked, allow it to cool slightly and then spoon the cooled syrup evenly over the pastry.
- Cool before serving.
These were very nice on the dessert tray I brought over to a friends house this weekend.