Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These treats are a cross between English muffins and pancakes...but uniquely Welsh. They are quite nutritious, too, especially if you use all or part whole wheat flour.
- Preheat oven to 325ºF.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and butter or margarine and blend together until the texture is crumbly.
- Beat the egg and add with sugar, cinnamon and currants.
- Mix well.
- Roll out dough to about 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured board.
- Using a floured cutter, cut into 3-inch circles.
- Place the cakes on a lightly oiled cookie sheet, allowing at least 1/2 inch to separate one from another.
- Bake for 5 minutes and then turn the cakes over and bake for 5 minutes with the other side up.
I made these today and they are very yummy! This recipe made 15 baking stones. The only problems I had were after the first 5 minutes when it says to turn them over, I found they were way too soft to turn over. I tried to turn one and it fell apart so I left them alone and baked the full 10 minutes on one side and they turned out just fine. Also next time I will reduce the salt by half as I can taste quite a bit of salt in them. These really are very tasty little treats.
Very tasty and easy to make! But I agree with the other post, a wee bit salty for me. The salt should be cut in half.