This is my mother's biscuit recipe. They always turn out light and fluffy, the best. I can't tell you how many of these I have made in my lifetime, but I can assure you they are always greeted with enthusiasm and my dinner guests would be disappointed if I didn't have some of these waiting for them, fresh out of the oven.
- Sift together flour and baking powder.
- Stir in salt and sugar.
- Cut in the Crisco until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Stir together eggs and milk.
- Make a well in the dry mixture and stir in the milk mixture with a fork.
- Stir just to moisten, then turn out onto a lightly floured board.
- Knead about 15 times, then pat lightly into a circle, about 1/2-inch thick.
- (The secret to light and fluffy biscuits is to handle the dough as little as possible) With a sharp round cutter, cut out rounds, without twisting the cutter.
- Just give it a sharp tap, then lift straight up (twisting the cutter causes the biscuits to slope over when they are baking) place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.
These are absolutely fabulous!! The recipe makes a large batch of delectable, sky-high biscuits! Thanks so much! :)
Awesome! Thank you so much, they came out perfect.
This is my first time ever reviewing on this site, but I had to. This biscuits are so good. The only thing I changed was I used butter flavor Crisco. But I love the flavor of the egg. These are fluffy as others have stated. I didn't grow up eating too many biscuits but my husband had them on a regular basis. After cutting out the first batch, I took a chance by using the remainder batter. I gently worked the batter because I didn't want to overwork them. They came out like the first batch. With the rest of the batter after cutting the second batch, I gently hand patted it in a rectangle shape, spread soft butter on it, sprinkled sugar on after the butter, then sprinkled on Hershey%u2019s special dark chocolate chips. I rolled the batter, then cut like cinnamon buns. Baked at the same temperature and they turned out so good. You'd think they would be too sweet after putting on the chocolate chips, but they weren't. I didn't put any icing on them because that may have made them too sweet. I apologize for writing such a long post, but these biscuits are really good.