Recipe by Sweet Diva MJ
Originally from Taste of Home, I changed the ingredients just a bit to suit our tastes and the result has become my most used biscuit recipe. They bake up so tender, light and fluffy! I brush the tops with butter before AND after baking. My favorite way to eat them is to split them open, spread with butter and drizzle with honey....
Top Review by Baby Kato
Mmmmmm Sweet Diva* mmmm. These biscuits are awesome. I love tea biscuits and these are perfect. Made just the way I love em. Crispy on the outside and tender, light and fluffy on the inside, with a great buttermilk flavor. These babies were quick and easy to make with tremendous results. I made half a recipe and got 6 beautiful tall biscuits. I served them warm with violet petal jam and also toasted with homemade raspberry jam, so good both ways. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe. Made for My 3 Chefs - 2012.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt and sugar.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/2-in. thickness.
- Cut with a 2-1/2-in. floured biscuit cutter. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
- Yield: 10 biscuits.