These are great! Nice and easy, and light and yummy. I get about 16 biscuits with this recipe. I like the versatility as well. I add cheese or garlic; whatever hits me at the time. I almost always add extra sugar.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease two 8-inch cake pans.
- Put the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl.
- Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the milk all at once and stir just until the dough forms a ball around the fork.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead 14 times.
- Pat until 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut into rounds with a 2-inch cookie cutter.
- Place, touching each other, in the cake pans and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- CRUSTY BISCUITS.
- Roll biscuits to 1/4-inch thick and place 1-inch apart in pan.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 12 minutes.
- Yields almost double the biscuits.
- BUTTERMILK BISCUITS.
- Use 2/3 cup buttermilk instead of sweet milk, 1/2 teaspoons baking soda and only 2 teaspoons baking powder.
- CHEESE BISCUITS.
- Add 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese to dry ingredients.
- DROP BISCUITS.
- Add additional 1/3 cup milk and use a baking sheet.