These are great! Nice and easy, and light and yummy. I get about 16 biscuits with this recipe. I like the versatility as well. I add cheese or garlic; whatever hits me at the time. I almost always add extra sugar.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease two 8-inch cake pans.
- Put the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl.
- Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add the milk all at once and stir just until the dough forms a ball around the fork.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead 14 times.
- Pat until 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut into rounds with a 2-inch cookie cutter.
- Place, touching each other, in the cake pans and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- CRUSTY BISCUITS.
- Roll biscuits to 1/4-inch thick and place 1-inch apart in pan.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 12 minutes.
- Yields almost double the biscuits.
- BUTTERMILK BISCUITS.
- Use 2/3 cup buttermilk instead of sweet milk, 1/2 teaspoons baking soda and only 2 teaspoons baking powder.
- CHEESE BISCUITS.
- Add 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese to dry ingredients.
- DROP BISCUITS.
- Add additional 1/3 cup milk and use a baking sheet.
Yum! I made a brilliant accidental discovery - I rolled and cut the biscuits to thin. I "mushed" (highly regarded culinary technique) two of them together and baked anyways. I ended up with perfect sandwich biscuits for sausage/egg biscuits. They also worked perfectly with the chicken fried steak and milk gravy that was for dinner. I followed the recipe exactly - down to the "knead 14 times". That was why I didn't reroll the dough and cut thicker biscuits. They were wonderful!!
These were by far and away the BEST biscuits I have EVER had!!! :0) I used coconut oil instead of shortning, I only added half a tablespoon of sugar and I rubbed the dry ingredients and coconut oil together. My husband gobbled them up and said that they were so light and delicious that he wouldn't mind having them every day!!! ;0) To be honest, they are so easy to throw together that if he REALLY wanted them everyday, it wouldn't be any trouble to make them for him!!!! :0) Thank you for a WONDERFUL recipe!!!!
Fantastic recipe!!! Really quick and easy to make and taste amazing!!!!