Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
These store up to 2 days in an airtight container at room temp.Baked meringue is different than meringue that tops pies, pipe it into frestanding shapes, bake, they are crisp and melt in your mouth. Don't make them in humid or rainy weather, they will turn out sticky.
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar (To make superfine sugar, place granulated sugar in a blender, process until fine.)
- Beat egg whites ( at room temp)in a large bowl at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; sprinkle cream of tartar, flavorings, and salt over whites;continue beatng until soft peaks form.Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Pipe or spread meringue into desired shapes.
- Bake at 225F for 1 hour and 45 minutes; turn off oven, and cool in oven 2 hours.Remove, and cool on wire rack.