Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
From Craig Claiborne's Favorites.
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely grated, about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 whole cardamom seeds, unhusked, can use 1/2 tsp. ground cardomom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick, about 2 inches long
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely minced
- 2 2⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 2 lbs lamb, cut into 2-inch cubes
- salt, to taste, about 3 tsp
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy kettle (pot) and add the onion.
- Cook stirring, about 5 minutes and add the cardomom, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
- Cook stirring frequently, about 10 minutes longer.
- When onion starts to brown, add the garlic and 2/3 cup of water.
- Simmer briefly and add the yogurt and lamb, stirring to coat the pieces.
- Sprinkle with salt and cook over brisk heat stirring often, about 5 minutes and cover.
- Cook about 30 minutes until the sauce is quite dry. Stir often as the stew cooks.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of water and cover again; cook 30 minutes longer, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Add the heavy cream and cook uncovered for about 15 minutes longer.