Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Bakewell tart that doesn't use wheat flour. Use recipe for either a large tart or small individual tarts.
- From this recipe I made one 9" tart and 6 small individual tarts in a mince pie tin. You could use a larger tart dish or make around 16 individual small tarts.
- For sweet rice flour pastry use recipe http://www.food.com/recipe/rice-flour-pastry-16478/ (I add a couple of pinches of xanthan gum to this linked recipe so the pastry holds together better).
- Line pan/dish with pastry by pressing in the pastry dough. You can press it fairly thin and it will hold together with the xanthan gum added. If you get holes or the pastry is so thin you can see the tin through it you can just press in a little more dough and it will blend together. Bake blind for 5 minutes at gas mark 5.
- Now make the sponge mix for the topping. Cream together the butter and sugar. Add egg, rice flour and the baking powder then beat. Add almond essence (or amaretto).
- Line the pastry with strawberry jam (apricot jam also works well for a frangipane test) and pour the sponge mix over it into the pastry.
- Bake at gas 7 until sponge is golden brown. (Approximate timings I think around 20-30 minutes for a single tart and 15-20 minutes for small individual tarts).
- The sponge will froth up as it cooks but this will settle once it's out of the oven.