1/3 Photos of Bakesale Betty's Fried Chicken Sandwich
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
From one of my favorite restaurants in Oakland. Grabbed this recipe from muffintop's blog when I got a hankering. Also made this sandwich using fried tilapia. Still good but I found that all I really wanted to eat was the coleslaw filling. Hope you have an appetite cause this is one huge sandwich.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard (Edmond Fallot Dijon mustard is what Betty uses)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (Bariani extra virgin olive oil is what Betty uses)
- 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 jalapenos, seeded, cut in half and sliced crosswise (I've used a green bell pepper instead and it's still wonderful)
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 green cabbage, core and outer leaves removed, and very thinly sliced
- kosher salt
- 1Season chicken breasts with kosher salt. Let sit at least 5 minutes. Fill a wide, shallow nonreactive bowl or casserole dish with buttermilk. Add the chicken and soak in the refrigerator for 1 hour up to overnight.
- 2For the vinaigrette: Combine mustard, vinegar and salt in a bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil until well blended.
- 3For the coleslaw: Macerate onions in the cup of red wine vinegar, and let sit at least 20 minutes. Remove onions and discard vinegar. Toss onions with jalapeno, parsley, cabbage and salt. Toss with vinaigrette until evenly coated.
- 4To fry chicken: Pour vegetable oil into a large stockpot. Do not fill up more than halfway, or the oil could splatter. Bring oil up to 365°, using a digital thermometer/candy thermometer to monitor the heat. Prepare the the breading while waiting for oil to heat up.
- 5In a wide shallow bowl, mix flour, cayenne, salt and pepper. Pull a chicken breast out of the buttermilk one by one, letting excess drip off, and dredge completely in flour. To create a thick crust, place in buttermilk and dredge in flour a second time. Do not drain or shake off excess buttermilk or flour during the breading process.
- 6When the oil is at 365°, carefully place chicken pieces into oil one by one. Let it cook for a minute before disturbing chicken, then help it “swim” in the oil with tongs, until it is evenly cooked, about 5-7 minutes. Remove chicken from oil and drain on paper towels. Season immediately with salt.
- 7For the sandwich: Place fried chicken breast on bottom of torpedo roll and top generously with coleslaw.
- 8Per serving: 995 calories, 52 g protein, 63 g carbohydrate, 58 g fat (8 g saturated), 95 mg cholesterol, 1,497 mg sodium, 6 g fiber.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bakesale Betty's Fried Chicken Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (1221 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4967.6
- Calories from Fat 4251
- Total Fat 472.3 g
- Saturated Fat 62.8 g
- Cholesterol 85.3 mg
- Sodium 2959.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 139.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.5 g
- Sugars 17.9 g
- Protein 52.8 g