Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This cake taste just like the ones at your bakery, it is so moist! Frost it with you favorite butter cream frosting. For this use 1/2-cup each butter, oil and shortening only no changes please! See my Pan Release, Professional Pan Coating (Better Than Pam Spray!) for greasing pans
Top Review by nita 284904 southern girl
Kitten, This cake iis better than any bakery cake i've ever had... It is in a class all by itself. Texture, Moistness, flavor are beyond discription.. This is definately going in my best cakes file.. I did use buttercream frosting and loved it.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup shortening (room temperature)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 egg whites (room temperature)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease three 9-inch round cake pans (if desired line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper).
- In a bowl combine the buttermilk with baking soda; let stand while preparing the next steps.
- In a large bowl cream sugar with butter, oil and shortening until well combined (no sugar granules should remain).
- Add in egg yolks, almond extract and vanilla; beat until well combined.
- Add in the buttermilk mixture alternately with the flour into the creamed mixture.
- In a large glass or stainless steel mixing bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of the whites into the creamed batter until blended, then fold in remaining whites until no streaks remain.
- Divide the batter between the three pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cakes test done.
- Cool in pans for 15 minutes then remove to wire racks to cool completely before frosting.