Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this recipe on a website for parents. The original was for the actual Whoopie pies, but I am too lazy for all of that. I altered a little and made a cake out of it. It is awesome and so worth the work. Note: use real butter, makes it much better.
- 1 (18 ounce) box devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened but still cool (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups marshmallow cream
- For the cakes: Heat oven to 350°F; line 2 cake pans with parchment paper.
- Combine all cake ingredients and mix.
- Pour half of batter into each cake pan. Cook approximately 20 minutes, or until cakes spring back when pressed. Cool completely on baking sheets, at least 1 hour.
- For the filling:.
- With electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla and salt. Beat in Fluff until incorporated, about 2 minutes. Refrigerate filling until slightly firm, about 30 minutes. (Bowl can be wrapped and refrigerated for up to 2 days).
- Spread filling onto one of the cakes. Place other cake on top. Refrigerate in air tight container up to 3 days.
- This is also good if you heat a can of frosting for 20 seconds and pour over the cake.
These were yummy and went fast at school. I cut back on 1/2 cup water so that I could make little whoopie pies. I added chocolate vodka to the cream filling instead of the extract. I added a teaspoon or so of expresso power to the cake batter too. These were for grow-ups and they loved them!