Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
These are wonderful, super moist and tasty! Make cupcakes or a cake, be creative!
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, unslated, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter, unsalted, softened
- 2 -3 cups powdered sugar, sifted very very well
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 -3 tablespoon milk or 1 -3 tablespoon cream, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla.
- With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated but do not over beat.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl to make sure the ingredients are well blended.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool the cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes. Remove from the tins and cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
- Beat softened butter for a couple minutes in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until smooth and creamy.
- Add 2 cups of the powdered sugar and blend well with the butter.
- Add more sugar, if needed, to adjust for taste. (I find that 2.5 cups is perfect).
- Add vanilla extract, salt, and 1 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for for a few minutes on high, until light a fluffy. Make sure you really beat it for a few minutes (at least 3) so you get that super smooth and fluffy frosting texture.
- If your frosting is too thin, add more sugar.
- If your frosting is too thick, add milk/cream 1 Tbsp at a time.
- I like to use 2 Tbsp milk for a thicker frosting to pipe on cupcakes, and 3 Tbsp milk for a slightly smoother frosting to frost a cake.