1/44 Photos of Bakery Style Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
I know... Not ANOTHER chocolate chip cookie recipe... BUT, you'll find that these are sheer perfection, large bakery-style, thick and chewy, cookies that taste as good as they look with a fool-proof set of instructions. It was pointed out to me that this recipe is from Baking Illustrated, perhaps so as I wrote down the ingredients from a morning show years ago! Thanks for letting me know.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (280 gms)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (20 gms)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm (170 gms)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed, light or dark, 236 gms)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk, from a large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet, milk chocolate or any combination, 300 gms)
- 1 cup walnuts (114 gms, chopped) (optional)
- 1A couple of tips from helpful reviewers.
- 2The dough is meant to be on the dry side so it can be rolled, not dropped.
- 3If you're not getting a good flavor, try using a higher quality vanilla and/or chocolate chips. (Penzey's Madagascar Vanilla, Ghirardelli chips, fresh/real butter).
- 4Check your oven temperature, cooking time and temperature is critical. If the cookies are not chewy they are probably overcooked.
- 5Bread flour will make the cookies even more chewy, biscuit flour will make them less chewy.
- 6Do not let your dough get warm, I like to scoop it on to pans and refrigerate before I pop them in the oven.
- 7Pan color is very important, if they are too dark you may experience some crisp edges, try using some parchment and lowering the cooking temperature a bit.
- 8Place oven racks in the upper and lower 1/3's of the oven.
- 9Preheat oven to 325°F.
- 10Cover 2 large cookie sheets with parchment paper Mix flour, baking powder & salt in a bowl or bag and set aside.
- 11Mix butter and sugars with with a mixer until blended and smooth, add egg, yolk & vanilla.
- 12Mix until incorporated.
- 13Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- 14Stir in chips and optional nuts.
- 15Divide into 18 equal balls, a 2" cookie scoop works just about perfectly, about 60 gms each.
- 16EVENLY space 9 on each cookie sheet.
- 17Bake for 12-18 minutes, rotating front to back and top to bottom after 8 minutes.
- 18Cool on sheets to maintain chewy texture.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bakery Style Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 264.9
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 40.9 mg
- Sodium 85.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 25.1 g
- Protein 2.7 g