These cookies will make your mouth sing! If you love the flavor thar toasted nuts have, you will love these cookies. They are not a doctored up oatmeal cookie, but like a really good energy bar/cookie. These have been adapted from a bakery called "Tutti's" in Montecito, CA.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Grape-nuts cereal
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup oat bran
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup almonds, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- 14 whole pitted dates, split lengthwise in half
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix oats, both flours, Grape-Nuts, wheat germ, oat bran, and baking soda in large bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter in another large bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs, both sugars, and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Add cereal mixture and stir just until blended; add almonds, raisins, and 1 cup chopped dates and incorporate.
- Can be prepared 1 week ahead.
- Cover and chill.
- Let soften at room temperature before continuing.
- Line 2 heavy large baking sheets with parchment paper (I use Silipat mat).
- Using a 2 ounce cookie scoop or 1/4 measuring cup, scoop dough onto prepared baking sheets about 2-inches apart.
- Using damp fingers, press cookies to 1/2-inch thick rounds.
- Press 1 date half into center of each cookie.
- Bake cookies 1 sheet at a time at 350° until brown on top, about 15 minutes.
- Let cookies stand on baking sheet 10 minutes before transfering to rack to cool.
- (Can be made 8 hours ahead and let stand at room temperature).
- Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.