Recipe by grandma2969
This recipe is really great. It takes a little longer to make..please do not cut short beating time. It will not sink into cake..You can put layers together with just 1/2" of icing and icing will stay put. This makes enough to frost a 3 layer cake..
Top Review by GEE's momma
I lost my recipe that is the same as this - good to find it here. This is awesome icing - not too sweet. The trick is to keep beating it, even when it looks curdled - just keep going and it will smooth out and be terrific. Thanks grandma2969!
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, ..sometimes I use almond
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine the milk and cornstarch.
- Cook until thick, and set aside to cool In a bowl, cream the shortening, butter and sugar with an electric mixer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the creamed mixture to the milk mixture.
- Add the salt and vanilla.Beat together with the mixer until creamy like whipped cream.
- This take a little longer to make, but it is great.