From Razzle Dazzle recipe site. For Zaar World Tour II.
Make and share this Baker's Original German Sweet Chocolate Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (4 ounce) packagebaker's German sweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- Coconut-Pecan frosting (recipe follows).
- Oven at 350ºF.
- Melt chocolate in water, cool.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Stir in vanilla and chocolate.
- Mix flour, soda, and salt.
- Beat in flour mixture, alternately with buttermilk.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour batter into three 9-inch layer pans, lined on bottoms with waxed paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs bake when lightly pressed in center.
- Cool 15 minutes; remove and cool on rack.
- Frost cake.
- COCONUT-PECAN FROSTING.
- Combine evaporated milk, sugar, slightly beaten egg yolks, butter or margarine and vanilla in saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in shredded coconut and chopped pecans.
- Cool until thick enough to spread.
- Makes 4-1/4 cups.
I am so glad to see this recipe here. It brings back childhood memories big-time! The only difference in my mom's recipe is that she used 2.5 cups cake flour instead of the apf. Same great results I am sure!
Yum! For the icing to thicken, cook 12 minutes wisking constantly, let cool and for best results stick it in the fridge for a few hours (I usually let the icicng sit in the fridge overnight). It will be the perfect consistency to work with.
this is my dad's favorite! Its health content doesn't measure up though, so he only gets it twice a year, father's day and his birthday. We just made it for him for father's day! The frosting doesn't thicken enough so sometimes we add more coconut and sometimes more egg yolks. You must wait until the icing is completely cool before you put it on the cake, and we generally don't ice the sides. I used to hate it when I was a little kid, but I didn't realize what I was missing! a yummy indulgence!