From Razzle Dazzle recipe site. For Zaar World Tour II.
Make and share this Baker's Original German Sweet Chocolate Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (4 ounce) packagebaker's German sweet chocolate
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 slightly beaten egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped pecans
- Coconut-Pecan frosting (recipe follows).
- Oven at 350ºF.
- Melt chocolate in water, cool.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Stir in vanilla and chocolate.
- Mix flour, soda, and salt.
- Beat in flour mixture, alternately with buttermilk.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
- Pour batter into three 9-inch layer pans, lined on bottoms with waxed paper.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs bake when lightly pressed in center.
- Cool 15 minutes; remove and cool on rack.
- Frost cake.
- COCONUT-PECAN FROSTING.
- Combine evaporated milk, sugar, slightly beaten egg yolks, butter or margarine and vanilla in saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in shredded coconut and chopped pecans.
- Cool until thick enough to spread.
- Makes 4-1/4 cups.