Recipe by Hadice
This came from the Good Eats Tv program with Alton Brown. Posting so I won't forget this wonderful recipe.
Top Review by mandabacca
I have not made this myself (yet), but a friend of mine has... very yummy! Hopefully it will still be a 5 star recipe in my book after making it myself. :) Update: I still think this is yummy, but after having made it myself, I do prefer to make and eat regular apple crisp.
- 3⁄4 cup oats
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold unsalted butter, diced
- 4 braeburn apples or 4 fuji apples
- 4 teaspoons honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl with cold butter.
- Mix with hands until mixture forms small clumps and appears sandy.
- Cut a small layer off the bottom of the apples to create a level surface.
- Cut a cone out of the top of the apple, removing about an inch of the core and discard the top (this is similar to cutting the top of a pumpkin).
- With a melon baller, remove the remaining core and seeds but do not puncture the base.
- Place the apples in a pie dish, making sure the apples do not touch.
- Fill each apple with a teaspoon of honey.
- Spoon in oat mixture, packing lightly until overflowing slightly.
- Bake in the oven at 350°F on the middle or top rack for 40 minutes or until a knife can stick in the side of the apple with little effort.
- Let stand ten minutes before serving.