Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This comes from a Sunset cookbook compilation, in the section titled "Low Fat Italian." I made this when my wonderful vegetarian nephew came for dinner, and we all thought it was heavenly. It's a little bit like an oven-baked frittata. I used a mix of zucchini and yellow summer squash.
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth (canned is fine)
- 3 large eggs
- 4 large zucchini, shredded (about 2 lbs.)
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large nonstick skillet, combine mushrooms, chopped onions and 1/2 cup water. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until liquid has evaporated and vegetables are beginning to brown.
- To deglaze, add 1/3 cup of the vegetable broth and stir to scrape any browned bits free from pan bottom.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to brown again.
- Repeat deglazing and browning steps 2 more times, using 1/3 cup broth each time. Onion should be golden brown.
- This should take about 15 to 20 minutes total.
- Remove pan from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs to blend. Stir in shredded zucchini, mushroom mixture, bread crumbs, cheese, pepper and oregano.
- Turn into greased 9x13" baking dish, spreading out evenly.
- Bake uncovered at 350 until casserole appears set in center when dish is gently shaken -- about 35 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes, then serve.
Prepared roughly half recipe, and chopped the zuke instead of shredding. I added the small diced to the veggie mixture, to soften before adding to egg mixture . I found it a tad dry, and surely needed some salt . Added to the ways to prep zucchini -- plenty left over for another night. Thanks for posting, vivmom.
The flavor of this dish was fantastic...but it was a little to mushy for my liking. Next time I will try baking it longer, maybe that would crisp it up. We had this as a side dish.