Recipe by ellie3763
from "chik n' pastry" - http://chiknpastry.com/2010/07/baked-zucchini-fries-and-romesco-sauce/
- 3 medium red bell peppers
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 slick bread (from baguette, about 1/2 inch thick, coarsely chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons almonds
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon spanish smoked paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini (3 large)
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely ground almonds
- 1⁄4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membranes. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise. Place bell peppers and tomatoes, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet and flatten pepper with your hand. Broil 10 minutes or until blackened (watch them closely!). Remove from oven and place in a zip-top plastic bag. Seal bag and let stand 15 minutes. Remove from bag, peal, and coarsely chop, reserving any liquid.
- Combine bell peppers, tomatoes, reserved liquid, chopped bread, almonds, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, salt, ground red pepper, and garlic clove in a food processor. Process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to use (can be made a couple days in advance).
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Cut each zucchini in half crosswise, then cut each half lengthwise into 8 wedges.
- Combine breadcrumbs, ground almonds, cheese, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. In another dish, whisk eggs until combined.
- Dip zucchini in eggs, then dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Place zucchini on a sheet pan coated with cooking spray. Lightly spray the zucchini with cooking spray.
- Bake zucchini at 400F for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately with sauce.