Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
If you love to order deep fried zucchini sticks in restaurants, then you will LOVE this healthier at home version. You won't even be able to tell they aren't deep fried! I Serve them as a side to steak and a salad.
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 zucchini
- 1 egg
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, cornmeal, salt, basil and pepper on a plate.
- Beat egg in a small bowl.
- Slice zucchini into 1/4" thick coins (its easier to brown them more evenly in the oven if they are coins because you only have to flip them once).
- Dip zucchini into egg and then into cornmeal mixture.
- Coat a parchment lined cookie sheet with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Arrange zucchini coins on cookie sheet and bake at 425° for about 10 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Serve with bottled blue cheese or ranch dressing as an appetizer or with steak and salad for a meal.