Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Recipe Source: WW meeting handout. 8 points plus/serving
- 3⁄4 lb turkey sausage, casing removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 10 ounces green peas, frozen
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces whole wheat ziti, cooked according to package directions
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, part-slim and shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pan over medium heat cook sausage until browned (3-5 minutes). Drain off any fat and then add the onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until softened (3-5 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes, peas, tomato paste and spices and bring to a simmer, reduce heat and cook uncovered for 5 minutes. Stir in pasta and half of the cheese. Put mixture in 13 x 9 pan and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling. Let stand at room temp for 10 minutes.
Halved the recipe, used veggie sausage(chorizo type) and forgot the peas too, but added in lima beans at the end. Much enjoyed and will also take this to a potluck at our church. Thanks! Made for Rookie tag.
I used turkey mince rather than sausage, and I must admit that I totally forgot the peas...HOWEVER....the dish came out beautifully...and tasted just great...you would never know that it was weight watchers!!
Leftovers were even better!!!!
A keeper for def!! Cheers ellie!!
Made for PRMR.