1/1 Photo of Baked Ziti With Tomato, Mozzarella and Sausage
1 hr 20 mins
I was horrified one night to discover I had misplaced this recipe, and had to go without. So, here it is for safekeeping. Recipe originally from Fine Cooking. Although it claims to serve four, it seems to make an incredible amount. I freeze half of what it makes before baking, to be enjoyed another evening.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into small dice
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs hot Italian sausage, removed from its casing and crumbled
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 (35 ounce) can plum tomatoes, chopped, with their juice
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh marjoram (from about 6 large sprigs) or 1/4 cup oregano (from about 6 large sprigs)
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated mild pecorino cheese
- 1 pinch nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1/2-1 lb mozzarella cheese, preferably fresh, cut into small cubes
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Lightly oil a large, shallow baking dish.
- 3Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- 4In a large skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat.
- 5Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- 6Add the garlic and crumbled sausage; saute until the sausage begins to brown.
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8If the sausage renders a lot of fat, pour most of it off leaving a little to add flavor to the sauce.
- 9Add the red wine; boil until it is almost gone.
- 10Add the tomatoes with all of their juices and cook, uncovered, at a lively simmer for about 10 minutes. The sauce will thicken slightly.
- 11Add the marjoram or oregano and taste for seasoning.
- 12In a large mixing bowl, mix together ricotta, about half the grated pecorino, the nutmeg, and the parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- 13Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente.
- 14Drain well and toss it with the ricotta mixture until well coated.
- 15Add the sausage and sauce and mix again.
- 16Add the mozzarella and toss gently.
- 17Pour everything into the baking dish and sprinkle the remaining Pecorino on top.
- 18Bake uncovered until lightly browned and bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- 19Serve right away.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Ziti With Tomato, Mozzarella and Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (562 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1449.4
- Calories from Fat 688
- Total Fat 76.4 g
- Saturated Fat 30.2 g
- Cholesterol 173.2 mg
- Sodium 2491.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.0 g
- Sugars 15.8 g
- Protein 70.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: