Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is served in many Italian households in R.I. Chef's in R.I. consider Graziano Sausages to be the best in the state. They are online @ Grazianosausage.com
- 1 lb pasta (mostaccioli recommended)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups tomato sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In stockpot, cook the pasta in salted boiling water until it just begins to soften; do not cook completely. It will finish cooking when it bakes in the oven. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil; Add sausages. If desired, the sausage casings can be removed, but is not required.
- Cook the sausages until they are evenly browned.
- Remove the sausage from the pan and slice them thinly.
- Add garlic to pan and cook over medium heat just until the garlic begins to become golden brown in color.
- Add tomato sauce to the pan, as well as the sliced sausage, mushrooms, wine and fresh herbs; mix well and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a 13X9-inch greased baking dish, alternate layers of the half-cooked pasta, the tomato sauce-sausage mixture, and ricotta cheese until all the ingredients are used.
- Sprinkle the grated Parmesan cheese over the top of the dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the top is golden brown.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.