Recipe by KathyP53
Delicious ziti recipe with fresh spinach. Easy!
Top Review by RedVinoGirl
This recipe was FABULOUS! My VERY skeptical husband took one look at the fact that it was lacking ricotta type cheese (which I HATE and is why I chose this type of recipe!) and thought this was going to be awful. Boy did he eat his words (literally!) and LOVED every stinking bite of this. I used hot chicken italian sausage and I doubled the garlic and increased the spinach. I also used shredded mozzarella rather than cubed. The flavors are incredible. It almost tastes like a super rich tomatoe sauce but it's actually just the mixture of the pesto and the tomatoes blending beautifully together. It's truly unbelievable! I can't thank you enough for this one. It makes a ton and isn't ever finished by my 4 person family but the leftovers are great too! This is a 10 star recipe!
- 3⁄4 lb hot Italian turkey sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup pesto sauce
- 10 ounces ziti pasta, cooked
- 8 ounces fresh spinach leaves, chopped (stems removed)
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (3 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add sausage, onion, and garlic, and saute until sausage cooked through, about 10 minutes, breaking up meat with back of spoon. Add tomatoes with juice to pan. Simmer until sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Stir in pesto sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly oil 13 x 9 glass baking dish. Combine pasta, spinach, mozzarella, and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese in large bowl. Stir in hot tomato sauce. Mix gently until spinach is wilted. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese over top. Bake until sauce bubbles and cheese melt, about 30 minutes.