Recipe by ashmartone
I came up with this recipe after having my son, a good way to get some extra iron from the spinach without the spinach taste. If you like your italian dishes cheesy and a little spicy you will love this!
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, crumbled
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- 2 cups fresh Baby Spinach, wrung out and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb ziti pasta, cooked for 5 minutes only
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend, for topping
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sausage on stovetop; medium heat until no longer pink, drain.
- Return to heat and add wine. Cook until evaporated.
- Add garlic and cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients for sauce.
- Bring to slow boil; Partially cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer sauce for approximately 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients for cheese filling.
- Add layer of sauce to bottom of 13x9 inch dish.
- Layer half of noodles, half of cheese filling.
- Layer small amount of sauce.
- Repeat noodles and cheese layers. Cover with layer of sauce. You will have extra sauce and you can use this on the side if desired.
- Cover with foil and bake 45-60 minutes or until bubbling at edges.
- Remove foil and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Return to oven for additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven let set for 15 minutes then Enjoy!