1 hr 8 mins
This sauce has a secret ingredient, grape or currant jelly, that's right, jelly! I use the unsweetened kind, I find the fruit takes the acidity out of the tomatoes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried ziti pasta
- kosher salt
- 3 1/2 cups quick tomato sauce
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, half cut into 1/2-inch cubes and half thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
QUICK TOMATO SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- 1/2 lb hot Italian sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups canned tomatoes (whole, peeled in puree & roughly chopped)
- italian seasoning
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup grape jelly (unsweetened) or 1/2 cup currant jelly (unsweetened)
- 1QUICK TOMATO SAUCE:
- 2Make this first; heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 3Cook the sausages until begining to brown, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add the onion and garlic, stirring, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes more.
- 5Add the tomatoes, thyme and jelly or preserves and bring to a boil.
- 6Lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- 7Remove and sicard the sprig of thyme.
- 8Stir in the seasoning and season with pepper, to taste.
- 9Use now or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 dayse or freeze up to 2 months. The yield is 5 cups.
- 11Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- 12Cook the ziti according to pkg directions.
- 14Toss the cooked pasta with the sauce, cubed mozzarella, half of the Parmesan cheese, black pepper and red pepper flakes.
- 15Transfer the pasta to an oiled 9x13" baking dish.
- 16Cover the top of the pasta with the sliced mozzarella, and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.
- 17Bake until lightly browned and hot, about 30 minutes.
- 18Serve at once.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Ziti With Special Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (426 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 940.6
- Calories from Fat 375
- Total Fat 41.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 110.7 mg
- Sodium 2678.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 26.6 g
- Protein 46.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: