1/3 Photos of Baked Ziti With Hot Italian Sausage & Fresh Mozzarella
1 hr 15 mins
Emily Elizabeth's Note:
This is a modified version of a recipe given to me by Momma Maglione. Her recipe does not include the sausage and uses her secret family gravy recipe which I cannot post. ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces ziti pasta
- 4 hot Italian sausage links (about 1 lb)
- 1/2 cup white wine (I typically use pinot grigio, but any white or even red will work well)
- 1 (32 ounce) can san marzano tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh mozzarella cheese (in water, I get mine at Costco)
- serve with the rest of your bottle wine, and some nice italian music
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Cook ziti until it is al dente (so that when you bake it in the oven it will cook the rest of the way). Rinse in cold water, drain and pour into a 7"x11" glass baking dish.
- 3Meanwhile, begin cooking sausage.
- 4Puree San Marzano tomatoes, crushed red pepper flakes and salt in a blender until smooth.
- 5When sausage is done, remove from pan and add 1/2 cup wine to reserved drippings from sausage and bring to a simmer scraping any bits from the bottom of the pan and stirring with wine. While wine is simmering, slice sausage at a slight diagonal about 1/2" thick.
- 6Add pureed sauce and sliced sausage to wine and stir. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile thinly slice and chop the fresh mozarella balls (some people recommend freezing for a 5 minutes or so to help with slicing, but I never do).
- 8When sauce is done simmering, pour everything over pasta. Sprinkle 1 cup of the fresh mozzarella throughout (fresh makes all the difference!) and sprinkle the rest on top. Top with a few shakes of crushed red pepper.
- 9Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until you see it getting a little bubbly. You can even cook it longer it you want it to get a little crisp on top, not too crisp as it will get dry.
- 10Serve with a bottle of wine and some nice Italian music.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baked Ziti With Hot Italian Sausage & Fresh Mozzarella
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 469.8
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.8 g
- Cholesterol 45.7 mg
- Sodium 1133.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 22.4 g