Recipe by nycbudgetcook
A lower-calorie version of baked ziti that is delicious. You can certainly opt to use the full calorie cheese and ground beef instead of turkey, but really there is no need since it tastes just as good as the original!
- 1 lb ziti pasta
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey (use 93% lean, NOT the "extra lean" kind)
- 2 jars of your fav spaghetti sauce
- 6 ounces of sliced low-fat provolone cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat sour cream or 1 1⁄2 cups light sour cream
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook ziti pasta al dente.
- In large skillet, brown the chopped onion and ground turkey. Add the minced garlic as the turkey begins to brown. Add the spaghetti sauce and simmer for approximately 15 minute.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter or grease in your preferred way a 9 x 13 " baking dish.
- Layer the ingredients as follows:.
- - spread some sauce as the bottom layer to help prevent sticking.
- -add 1/2 the ziti pasta.
- - layer the slices of provolone cheese to cover the ziti.
- -add sour cream.
- -add 1/2 the sauce mixture.
- -add remaining ziti.
- -add1/2 the mozzarella cheese to cover.
- -add remaining sauce on top.
- -add remaining mozzarella to cover.
- -add parmesean on top if desired (I found it not to be necessary).
- -bake in the covered dish for 30 minutes @ 350 degrees.